Recounting ‘Agar and Its Origin,’ in 75 years of Sully County History 1883-1958, Evelyn Venner relates that ‘It was in the spring of 1909, that the Chicago and Northwestern Railway Company made a public announcement that it planned to extend its lines from Gettysburg, SD, through Sully County to connect with its main line at Blunt, SD.’
The Western Town and Lot Company, on October 27, 1909, platted out a townsite at a point one and a half miles from both the east and south lines of Milford Township.
The next spring, adventurous and inspired folk began purchasing lots and constructing homes and businesses. The sale of lots continued and by August 1, 1910, when the railroad company made its first run, the little town had already erected several buildings.
One hundred thirteen years later, Agarites still exhibit that same spirit of adventure as those who first called Agar home.
Read the Rest of the Story in The Onida Watchman! Single copies are $1.00 each and available at the Watchman office, 106 S Main, Onida, and at The Corner and Don’s Food Center in Onida, and at the Medicine Creek and The Hilltop in Blunt. Subscriptions are $38 in Sully, Hughes, Potter, Stanley and Hyde Counties and for people in armed forces; $40 elsewhere in SD; $42 out-of-state; $1 single issue; $36 E-Subscription; or plus $12 to print subscribers.