About four dozen of the more than 100 who purchased tickets for the Agar history tour rode the ‘trolley’ the tour committee assembled by putting benches on flat bed trailers. Other participants walked the tour, or followed in their personal vehicles. 

The celebratory mood created by Sunday’s rainfall continued into the Bunkhouse for the Bloody Mary bar and silent auction, onto the trollies for the history tour, and concluded in Millie’s Diner with the pork sandwich supper during the Agar History Tour fundraising event for the restoration of the courthouse dome.

Tour guide and Agar historian Lew Robbennolt started the tour where Agar began, at the intersection of Railway Avenue and Ash Street where a depot, grain elevators, and a grocery store were built in Agar’s founding days.

Robbennolt explored some of the changes that had taken place in the town in the proximity of the intersection. An illegal still was discovered in a haystack in the stockyards near the railroad water tank during prohibition. After World War II, the sheriff was called in to break up a card game that was operating out of the pool hall.

In the shade of several large cottonwood trees, the tour continued at the Agar Hall. Robbennolt shared that the Quonset style building that originally served as the home of Agar Legion Post 271, founded in 1946, burned in 1965, leaving Agar’s outstanding basketball team without a court to play on or equipment to play with. He compared the effort to fundraise and build the new hall to the current work being done by the Sully County Historical Society to restore the courthouse dome in how the wider community contributed to make sure obstacles were overcome.

Businesses that operated along Sully Avenue were remembered, including grocery stores, gas stations, and two banks. Robbennolt shared the press clipping from the Agar Enterprise that revealed the details of the attempted robbery of an Agar bank and the capture of the two men involved when they were discovered passed out in their car on a Lebanon side street after a night of over imbibing.

The tour concluded with a look at Agar’s houses of worship and its schools, and ended at the Holy Rosary cemetery a half mile east of town.